Use your Jewelry to flatter you – helpful steps to accentuate your features
Consider your Skin Tone: choose a metal and complementary color
- Cool skin tones favor metals such as silver, platinum, and white gold.
- Warm skin tones favor metals such as gold, pewter, brass, and copper.
- Complementary Colors:
- Cool skin tones favor stones such as white pearls and diamonds. Stone color should focus on jewel tones such as pinks, purples, blues, reds, and magentas.
- Warm skin tones favor stones such as coral or golden toned pearls. Stone color should focus on more earthy tones such as browns, oranges, greens, yellows, peaches, corals, and also turquoises.
Consider the shape of your face:
- Heart/Inverted Triangle/Diamond Shaped Face:
- Earrings: dangle or drop earrings help to lengthen the face.
- Necklaces: chokers help contrast and soften the sharp angle of the chin.
- Round/Square/Triangular Shaped Face:
- Earrings: try elongated shapes such as ovals, or angular shapes such as rectangles. Square shaped faces look particularly well in teardrop earrings.
- Necklaces: look for necklaces that elongate your face, typically necklaces that extend below the neckline.
- Rectangular/Oblong Shaped Face:
- Earrings: choose short or round earrings to contrast the longer face shape.
- Necklaces: chokers, especially if you have a long neck.
- Oval Shaped Face:
- Earrings: dangle earrings (not too long), preferably angular shaped.
- Necklaces: can be either long or short (if long neck, than chose a shorter necklace)
Tip: Check out the book “Jewelry Savvy” What every Jewelry Wearer should Know by Cynthia Sliwa and Caroline Stanley